Sunday 9 June 2013

Military Experiment? Part 1

The night sky was clear. Too clear in fact. There was not a single cloud or star in sight. 'That's strange,' I thought as we all gathered in front of the camp fire. The camp itself was constructed to resemble a children's summer camp; with cabins and a dock leading out into the lake on the far south eastern side. The only difference was that all of those in attendance seemed to be in their late teens or early 20's. 

As I sat there listening to Kris animatedly recount the events of the day, a strange, unpleasant feeling washed over me. It was almost like a mixture of confusion, fear, and dread. Then I suddenly realized that I did not know why I was even at this camp or how I got there. I looked around, watching all of the orange-tinted faces, but it didn't seem like anyone else felt the way I did. Until I saw the face of a girl, maybe a couple of years younger, staring back at me from the opposite side of the fire. She seemed to have sensed the same thing I did. Her eyes, clouded with fear, locked with mine and instantly all the warning bells in my head went off, but I had no idea what I was supposed to do.


Off in the distance a soft bang echoed through the valley, but no one else, besides myself and the other girl, seemed to notice. Suddenly the temperature dropped. A shiver ran through my body despite the fire. That was when I noticed the fog rolling in. There was something about it that felt ominous and threatening. When I tried to stand, I found that I couldn't move. It was as if I was paralyzed. I looked around frantically to see if anyone else had noticed but everyone still continued chatting like they had been for the last few minutes.


With every passing moment that the fog grew thicker, my body grew wearier. It felt like I was ready to pass out and go to sleep, but my mind refused to shut down. I no longer felt paralyzed but the feeling of weariness weighed me down. I could feel a sense of panic settling in and there was nothing I could do. 


Everyone else seemed to be growing tired as well. Many of the other campers were yawning and positioning themselves to get ready for sleepy. 


'This isn't right... Something's going on.'


I willed my body to move. It took immense amounts of effort but I was able to stand from my perch. Then, to my surprise, a voice took over the intercoms that I didn't even realize the camp had. The voice, deep and sultry, spoke in a language I was not familiar with. It seemed to be giving instructions because everyone began moving in a uniform fashion away from the camp fire.


'What is going on?' I then realized that I remained standing. Despite the slight paralysis my body seemed to be experiencing it was not doing what everyone else was doing. I looked across the fire and found that the other girl had remained where she was as well. We looked at each other, both of us realizing that whatever was happening to everyone else was not happening to us.


We need to get out of here. The silent message passed between us. We were both about to take a step in the opposite direction that all the others had gone when we noticed masked figures stepping out of the fog. They were all clad in black uniforms. Many of them were carrying equipment that I did not recognize. Some were carrying guns. I was able to look at the other girl one more time before a couple of men came and seized us. I felt a sharp pain on the back of my neck and shoulders. One of the men must've hit me. That was when I blacked out.


When I came to, I was in what looked like a bus. The girl from the camp was next to me, still out cold. My wrists had been bound behind my back. I tried to wriggle free but that only alerted the masked man beside me. He shook his head as if to say, 'You're not going anywhere.'

"Where are we? What's going on?" I was surprised by my own voice. A different man walked down from the front of the bus. As I watched him, I realized that there were others. All of us were wearing the same camp clothes, all bound. Some were awake, the others unconscious. What confused me was that I don't recall seeing any of them from my camp.


The man took out a suspicious looking object from the breast pocket of his jacket. It sort of looked like one of those high tech needles they use in testing labs. He nodded at the guard beside me, who then released my wrists from their prison. 


"Who are you? Where are you taking us?" as before I did not get a response. Instead the man grabbed my left arm and injected something into it using the high tech needle. A sharp pain ran through my arm, into my chest then up to my head. I groaned and stared up at the man. My face probably showed a look of disgust and defiance for the man stabbed my arm again. I opened my mouth to scream some profanities at him, but no sound came out. And for the second time that night I blacked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment