Friday 14 June 2013

In My Pocket

I was walking down a luscious green forest teeming with tall trees. They were skinny, however, and their canopy leaves grow far above my head, away from sight, letting in only a few rays of light to shower the forest in an emerald hue. The place felt of a nostalgic comfort even if I know that I have never been there before. 

I continued walking down a smaller path as I scoured the forest bed for an item -an item that I knew I had to find. Using a wooden stick that I've picked up from somewhere, I searched bushes and turned over leaves which remained vivid green whilst having fallen already. I kept doing this as if it were routine, and ALAS! I found the item I was looking for. Underneath a pile of green leaves was a small circular nest about the size of a grown man's fist. I felt the excitement rushing through my veins, but it wasn't the nest that I was excited for, I was more interested in what was in the nest. My eyes gleamed as I slowly knelt down to look closer at the oddity that is now staring back at me. 

A dinosaur nest! I heard myself screamed inside my head. It wasn't just any nest either, it had a little green baby dinosaur in it.

The creature opened its mouth and let out a familiar sound, kind of like a gecko's sound. It stared back at me for a few moments and went back to sleep. The thought of it lowering its guard down and trusting that I wouldn't hurt it made me smile. My eyes however fell down on another curious object to the side of the dinosaur -an unhatched dinosaur egg. It was just about the size of a quail's egg and tinted with a light green colour. I unwittingly took the egg which fitted perfectly between the grasp of my index finger and thumb. I turned it up into the sunlight to observe its magnificence. 

It wouldn't hurt if I take one, right? I thought to myself as mixed feelings run rampant inside my chest. In the end, I took the egg and placed it carefully inside my jean's left pocket.

* * *

At the end of the day, I found myself back,  walking down the concrete streets of the city. I had accomplished something great today, I thought to myself. I placed my hand over my left pocket to feel the dinosaur egg. However, instead of a solid object, I felt something more organic... and cold. Shivers ran down my body as the thing inside my pocket slithered, hitting the skin of my leg with its cold body. 

The egg must've hatched. However, it didn't feel like a dinosaur. It seemed to not have any limbs at all... more like a snake. 

I didn't bother reaching my hand down my pocket to check. The thought of having a snake inside my pant's pocket was too terrible a thought I started squirming, running fast to reach the privacy of my home so that I can remove my pants and throw it somewhere safe.

I didn't reach home though, I woke up from a dream. 

No comments:

Post a Comment